Our story unfolds one day at a time. I hope you enjoy this glimpse into our memories in the making.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Second Kid Syndrome
Ben gets lots of love, attention, and the added bonus of entertainment from his sister, and count 'em t-w-o- dogs! However, there are things that I did with Audrey that I just can't remember to do with Ben, or just don't have time for. She had play dates every single week from the time she was 3 weeks old. Ben has had 3 play dates in 10 months. I am not alone in this syndrome though, and the 3 play dates he has had are with moms who have 2nd children. Don't even talk to me about the Duggars; I'm just NOT that woman. Anyway.....this gets me (in a round about sort of way) to the original reason for this post. I was getting Ben ready for bed and reading him some books when he started crawling on this lovely chair (lovingly made by my Mama and a copy of one my Grandpa made for me) when it dawned on me that I spent about an hour in the yard in Greensboro trying to have my own photo shoot with Audrey and Ridley on her 9 month birthday with this chair. I loved the red chair with my name painted on it that my grandfather Andersen made for me, and was so proud of the duplicate Mom made for Audrey. So, I guess I should be doing the same things with Ben that I did with Audrey, but clearly that theory went out the window a while ago. So (after much rambling) here we have pictures of Ben at 10 months in "the" chair. Yes, it is a last minute, before bed, kind of thing, but it's still the chair. Why am I writing such a long blog about this "chair" when I normally shun wordy blogging? I guess because I loved the one I had so much, used it every day until I guess I was too fat as a preteen and broke it, and now Audrey and Ben have one just like it. I am not sentimental about everything, but a few things. I guess I'll have to write a rambling blog about the play kitchen by Grandpa made for me too that I still have. Ok, so after much adieu, here are the pictures.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love this post and seeing Ben in Jake's pj,s. He is such a beautiful boy! Jake has a version of 2nd child syndrome too!!
Don't even talk to me about the Duggars either! They are very different! And making a ton of money from TLC or whatever channel it is their show is on! Ginger--each kid is different, but Ben will do fine. You are a wonderful mother! Ben will do great regardless of whether he's had 3 play dates or 300 play dates so far.
When Zach (my third child) was almost two, my speech therapist friend made me bring him in for screening because he wasn't talking as much as he should have been at that point. Turned out I wasn't reading to him, talking to him, etc. as much as I should have been, or as much as I had with the first two. I just plain didn't have that kind of time with #3! But it gave me a wake up call, and I started trying harder with him, and very soon, he said, "There is an ambulance coming down the street" while we were out in the car...and I knew he was going to be alright! And he is! He is a senior in college with a great job prospect and a wonderful girlfriend.
Each kid has you for whatever time or energy you can provide, but each kid is going to turn out fine. You enjoy Ben in all the moments you have with him, as you have been doing...and he will be fine! I think motherhood is a great big time of trying to figure out who needs you most...always feeling torn...but they know you love them and that's what they need to know!
Post a Comment